“It’s not motorsport in my book. Gotta watch out what I’m saying. Umm… Yep. (sic) All I’ve seen this weekend is a lot of mistakes from Shane.” – Maro Engel, 2017.

SHOTS FIRED. I REPEAT, SHOTS FIRED.

Maro Engel was not too happy after his team mate, and reigning Supercars and Bathurst 12 Hour Champion Shane Van Gisbergen, after he crashed out of the 2017 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour with 15 minutes to spare.

Interview.png
Engel being interviewed by Channel 7. (Image via Channel 7 and Bathurst 12 Hour)

Van Gisbergen called the crash an “honest mistake” after he was “pushing hard” and ended up in the wall. He duly apologised to the team itself, and said that he was to go and say sorry to Maro Engel after hearing from the reporters that Engel had been critical of his driving.

The event triggered a record-breaking 16th Safety Car of the event, and assured Maranello Motorsport’s Jamie Whincup of a comfortable drive home to the flag to win the race, and he did so after the race restarted again with 7 minutes to go.

Suffice to say there will be a bit of internal fighting within Scott Taylor Motorsport after this…