Yep, you read that right. A 16 year old will be taking to the Supercars grid on a full-time basis. And we though Verstappen was young when he went to F1…

Perth teenager Alex Rullo has been named a full time driver for the 2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship for Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport, having been granted a special dispensation by CAMS (the body controlling Australian motorsport) to drive on a race-by-race basis, because he has fallen short of two criteria for the licence he needs for Supercars racing. These are age, and points earned towards the licence over the last five years.

Rullo, a rising star in Australian motorsport, hails from Perth, Western Australia, and has been prominent on the Sueprcars circuit for a while now. He was a Dunlop series driver last year at the tender age of 15, and placed 17th in the Championship.

I too was driving Supercars at 16, however, unlike Rullo, I was driving them on Gran Turismo 6, not in real life… It’ll be interesting to see how he can juggle this drive with¬†his education, and whether he can live up to the inevitable hype, and online hate from those who believe that he is too young and not good enough for the main game. Hopefully he can exceed expectations.