The new MotoGP season is fast apporaching! Here at Motorsport Banter we are very excited for the first round to come around. However, before we go into the season, we have thought of some big talking points for the season ahead.

1. Will Jorge Lorenzo succeed at Ducati?

Let’s be honest here, you were all thinking this. Don’t even try to deny it.

With the former Yamaha man making the switch to Italian manufacturers Ducati, everyone is watching with baited breath as to how the former World Champion will go. Can he take the fight to his former team Yamaha and fierce rival Rossi and defending champion Marc Marquez?

2. Will Marquez remain on top?

Speaking of the 23-year-old Spaniard, he is coming into the 2017 season on a high, after taking his third premier class crown at the end of last year.

However, will Honda be able to stay on top heading into the new season? More importantly, will he be able to continue to show the maturity he showed last season in his race-craft this year, or will he drive on the limit as he had done in previous seasons with more mistakes?

There are questions everywhere, but we will see how Marquez answers them on track.

3. Will the races be as unpredictable as they were in 2016?

The 2016 season was one of the most exciting seasons of MotoGP in its history! With EIGHT different winners, of which there was a phase mid-season where SEVEN different riders in a row were victorious, it seemed as if you didn’t know who would win until they’d actually got to the chequered flag!

We’d love to see more of it this season, especially if it means Jack Miller or Valentino Rossi decide that doing more shoeys on the podium after the race are a good thing…

article-urn-publicid-ap.org-82b5de60342e405b8a493c1711331048-4jy2aR5bGf10dfb51f785d69012a-119_634x422.jpg
Jack Miller celebrating his victory at Assen last year with a shoey.

4. How will KTM fare in the premier class?

If you hadn’t heard, Austrian motorcycle manufacturer KTM has made the step up from Moto3 and joined MotoGP for 2017, with Bradley Smith and Pol Espargaro both leaving Yamaha to go and ride for them. Seeing as it is their first foray into MotoGP, one must ask how they will contend with the already established manufacturers such as Honda and Yamaha.

5. How will the rookies go this year?

New to MotoGP this season are Alex Rins and Sam Lowes, who both move up from the Moto2 class into the main game for 2017. Rins will make his debut for the Suzuki team, whilst Lowes will ride for Aprilla alongside Aleix Espargaro.

If Rins and Lowes can continue their good form in Moto2 and show strong progress in the premier class, they should be in for a good time riding the 1000cc bikes.

We will see how these questions are all answered during the season. Who knows what the racing Gods have thrown up for Motorcycle racing this season!