So far in testing, Valtteri Bottas leads the session. However, more interestingly, it looks like those who claimed that a lot faster than anything we’ve seen since the change from V10 to V8 engines in 2006 have been proven right.

Before lunch on Day 3, Valtteri Bottas clocked a 1:19.838 on the ultrasoft tyres in his Mercedes W08. Whilst it is unofficial seeing as this is testing, it is the fastest time set at Barcelona since they adopted the configuration which has been used since 2007. The next fastest was Mark Webber with a 1:19.995 in qualifying for the 2010 Spanish Grand Prix.

bottas-mercedes
Bottas during testing in Barcelona. (via formula1.com)

The official lap record around the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya (as set in a race) is a 1:21.670 by Kimi Raikkonen in 2008.

View our analysis of the Barcelona test so far here:
Day 1 | Day 2