As we reported earlier, Valtteri Bottas set the quickest time in 10 years around the track today, though after our article was released, he sped up and went a 1:19.705. Despite the monumental pace, Sebastian Vettel has got pretty close to the time, also dipping under the 1:20 barrier and setting a 1:19.952. The craziest part about all of this however, is that Bottas used ultra-soft tyres, and Vettel used the soft compound Pirellis.

Lance Stroll’s week has gone from bad to worse, following up from his spin yesterday with another spin, and then a crash at Turn 5. As well as this, he’s now joined the man, the myth, the legend Pastor Maldonado in having a website counting whether he’s crashed today. He wasn’t the only one to have incidents, with Carlos Sainz Jr. and Jolyon Palmer also bringing out red flags.

nintchdbpict000305384471.jpg
Stroll before his incident today.

If Mercedes aren’t sandbagging and withholding their true pace, we could be onto a nice rivalry here. After all, two of the world’s biggest and most prestigious car manufacturers going head to head for the Formula 1 World Championship would be a marketing dream for FOM.

View the rest of our analysis of the first Barcelona test so far here:
Day 1 | Day 2