Yes. You read that right. No, Ferrari fans, this is not a dream.

In an interview with Autosport, Lewis Hamilton has conceded that as a result of testing so far, Ferrari should be considered favourites heading into the 2017 Formula 1 season.

“We can’t take our eyes off them, because they have been doing such a great job at the moment. Red Bull look like they are quite good as well. We’ll see over the next days and, most importantly, over the next weeks, but it’s going to be close in the first race, that’s for sure. Just on times it looks like Ferrari might be quickest, and maybe we’re very close with the Red Bull behind.”

– Lewis Hamilton, 2017.

This comes after Hamilton had issues with his car’s floor during his running on day four of the test. Hamilton’s program was ended early by Mercedes in order to fix the damage on the car, and ensure a good session for Valtteri Bottas in the afternoon.

Is this just Hamilton trying to divert attention from Mercedes pace, or is he being genuine when he says that Ferrari have the upper hand in development?

I know I’d like to see a change of the guard at the top, but we’ll have to wait and see what happens.