It has been announced in a statement by the family of John Surtees that the four time motorcycle World Champion and 1964 Formula One World Champion has passed away. The 83-year-old was admitted to St Georges Hospital in London during February, as a result of an existing respiratory illness, and passed away peacefully on the 10th of March with his family by his side.

He was one of the true greats of motorsport, always remaining involved with the sport, specifically with The Henry Surtees Foundation, a foundation which he established in memory of his son, Henry. As well as his work with the foundation, he also maintained a role in helping his local karting circuit. Surtees was also still involved with the Formula One community, having helped conduct the podium interview at the 2013 Italian Grand Prix, and appearing at many Goodwood Festivals of Speed in his later years.

We have lost a true great, and one of the best all-around racers to have ever lived. He will always have a place in history, and will be remembered fondly by the motorsport community.
Rest in Peace, John.

John Surtees Henry Surtees Foundation
John Surtees in his later years, doing work with the Henry Surtees Foundation.

The full statement from the Surtees family:

“It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our husband and father, John Surtees CBE.

John, ‪83, was admitted to St Georges Hospital, London in February with an existing respiratory condition and after a short period in intensive care he passed away peacefully this afternoon. His wife, Jane and daughters, Leonora and Edwina were by his side.

John was a loving husband, father, brother and friend. He was also one of the true greats of motorsport and continued to work tirelessly up until recently with The Henry Surtees Foundation and Buckmore Park Kart Circuit.

We deeply mourn the loss of such an incredible, kind and loving man as well as celebrate his amazing life. He has set a very real example of someone who kept pushing himself at his peak and one who continued fighting until the very end.

We would like to thank all the staff at St George’s Hospital and The East Surrey Hospital for their professionalism and support during this difficult time for us. Thank you also to all of those who have sent their kind messages in recent weeks.

Funeral details will be announced in due course.”