It has been reported the McLaren are interested in providing a power unit for the Formula E Championship. This comes after CEO Zak Brown said that McLaren are looking to get more involved with Formula E, whether it be through buying a team, or simply supplying a powertrain to one at the next possible opportunity.

Formula E is going places. It has its place in motorsport and being the motor racing junkie I am, as long as it’s commercially viable and on brand, the more range the better. We are looking at ways to get more involved in Formula E. Everything is on the table from starting a team, to buying a team, to working with a team to further developing other areas within Formula E that McLaren [could] apply technology. we can go beyond the battery technology.

– Zak Brown

As well as having interest at this point, McLaren already supplied the series with motors during its inaugural season. It was announced by Formula E in September that McLaren will supply batteries from the 2018-19 season. The Woking-based marque are entering the sport with the promise of the batteries being able to power the cars for the full race distance, unlike the Honda engines that are currently in their F1 cars.

Formula-E
A Formula E race during the 2015-16 season.

Audi and BMW have already confirmed they will be joining the series in the future. Audi will join as a fully-fledged works team, and BMW will become a powertrain manufacturer in their own right from the 2018-19 season, extending on their current Andretti partnership. Mercedes also have an option to enter the series in the 2018-19 season, though it has yet to be confirmed whether they will follow through with their entry. With all this manufacturer involvement coming into Formula E over the next two years, things are definitely looking up for the electric racing series.