Sauber have confirmed that Antonio Giovinazzi will replace Pascal Wehrlein again for the Chinese Grand Prix!

The Hinwil-based squad announced during their Chinese Grand Prix weekend preview that Wehrlein would not be driving in the Chinese Grand Prix, but will be back in the Sauber C36 at the next possible opportunity.

For me the most important is that I can train intensively to ensure a 100% performance from my side as soon as possible. I will then be well-prepared for my first complete Grand Prix weekend for the Sauber F1 Team. Hopefully this can be in Bahrain but, if not, then we will take the time it needs until Russia to make sure I am completely ready.

– Pascal Wehrlein

Wehrlein originally chose to withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix due to his heavy Race of Champions crash during the off-season, with the view of being back in the Sauber C36 by China. However, this has not happened and now last year’s GP2 (now Formula 2) runner up Antonio Giovinazzi will get another chance to impress, after a strong showing in Australia.

How soon will it be until we see Pascal Wehrlein complete a race weekend with Sauber? Join the discussion on our social media pages!