Despite all the road cars McLaren have built using their own engines, and the problems they’re having with the current Honda power units, McLaren’s CEO Zak Brown has ruled out the possiblilty of the Woking-based squad building their own engines for use in F1.

Their engine [discussing the McLaren road and GT cars] is a McLaren engine but the F1 team has a different set of economic priorities and ways to go racing so that is not a conversation that we’ve had… We are not an engine builder, we are a racing team and a car constructor.

– Zak Brown

This comes out after McLaren have said that the Chinese Grand Prix track will show their weaknesses and highlight them. As well as this, they have already sounded out Mercedes for a supply of engines a few weeks ago.

So basically, McLaren are just shooting themselves in the foot at every opportunity possible…