You know you’re in an absolutely terrible car when you’re a 2-time World Champion and have this to say about your qualifying result…

After pushing “like an animal” in qualifying itself, the Spaniard will line up 13th on the grid, and has labelled the result “a divine present” after doing so. This comes after a poor practice session for McLaren-Honda, where Alonso only managed 17th. The 2005 and 2006 Champion¬†also had an engine scare at the start of Q2, where his Honda power unit would not start. Eventually, it did get going, but after it was all said and done he was still second slowest of anyone who ran in the session.

Like in Australia, it was one of the best laps I’ve done in my life. In Australia and here. I feel good with the car, I feel capable of pushing to the limit.

– Fernando Alonso

He has already come out and said that he will not be quitting McLaren or F1 itself mid-season, but one can imagine he isn’t at all happy with the situation, especially now Ferrari are well and truly title competitors…

View our full Qualifying analysis here!