You read that right, this isn’t a joke…

Fernando Alonso will miss the Monaco Grand Prix to take part in one of the other parts of Motorsport’s triple crown, the Indianapolis 500.

McLaren’s official Twitter account broke the news, confirming that Fernando would be driving the biggest race in American motorsport.

I’m immensely excited that I’ll be racing in this year’s Indy 500, with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport. I’ve won the Monaco Grand Prix twice, and it’s one of my ambitions to win the Triple Crown. It’s a tough challenge, but I’m up for it. I don’t know when I’m going to race at Le Mans, but one day I intend to. I’m only 35: I’ve got plenty of time for that.

– Fernando Alonso

The two time Formula 1 World Champion will be racing with Andretti Autosport, who, like McLaren, run Honda engines.

IMG_6956
Rossi won as a rookie last year. Can Alonso make it two rookie wins in a row?

All we know is that it’s great to finally see an active Formula 1 driver go to the US and attempt to conquer the biggest race they have to offer.

How do you think Fernando will go? Be sure to join the discussion on social media!